Thursday, February 23, 2012

The value of learning a foreign language

Since I am the student of English, I can’t imagine a situation where I’m deprived of the possibility of learning any foreign language. No way! I dread the thought of not mugging up on my grammar tests or learning vocabulary till the crack of dawn. What about studying literature? It’s a pleasure to visit Great Gatsby in his luxurious house or float with Huckleberry Finn on the Mississippi River.

Although there are a lot of arguments in favor of learning foreign languages, people seem to be ignorant about them. I know it’s sad but unfortunately true.

With reference to an article published in The Observer I want to convince anyone who will read my post on this blog to study foreign languages. It’s quite strange that in a world that is becoming more global foreign languages are taken off the school curriculum. Why? Is it really so tormenting necessity to learn foreign languages?

I’ve heard that among people from English-speaking countries there's a feeling that everybody else speaks English anyway so any additional language is necessary. For most British people the idea of language learning is tied up with the dreaded phrase "écoutez et répétez", or frowning over tables of German "cases". However, learning a language is not just about grammar and vocabulary but primarily about communication and cultural understanding.

I STRONGLY believe that languages can open doors for you since with the knowledge of any extra languages you better fit the world. You avoid occupying the same positions, the same phrases, all your life, as the author of the article states. You are free to choose your dream job, travel around the world, meet new people, and what is the most important communicate with them.

REMEMBER! It’s better to speak a foreign language imperfectly than not to speak it at all.

What’s more, each language allows you to express ideas, thoughts, and feelings…
Imagine being in a doctor’s office and trying to explain your illness, and not understanding the diagnosis. It can be compared to a situation where a dog tries to talk to a pig. It wouldn’t work, for sure.

9 comments:

  1. Neither can I imagine my life without learning foreign languages. But... for studying literature??? You must be joking :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Gatsby, Ala come on :D But the picture of Reksio is cute :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I haven't thought of that! :D however, the argument connected with learning literature is quite convincing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see that we share one very important point, namely that bilinguals are better able to express ideas accurately when compared with monoliguals ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicja :D I don't see why you didn't share your deep love for American Literature during our classes :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't thought bout literature, very interesting concept:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice post :) Congratulations, I agree with you on the utilitarian function of language, using which we can express our thoughts and communicate within various discourses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, that is a powerful analogy (the dog and pig thing) ;) As for the UK, I don't think the government wants to make British children's lives easier. It's all about the money, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete